Do you know what you want from life?
Many people only have a vague and very basic idea of what they want to achieve in their ¬†personal , professional or ¬†family life.¬†
Maybe you want a more senior position at work, ¬†to earn a higher income, to start your own business, move to a ¬†different country, find a ¬†life partner, get fitter or have a family holiday. Unfortunately, many people will never achieve the success they really want for this simple reason… ¬†
they haven’t set clear goals.
You may have a general idea of what you want to achieve, but your mind does not work effectively with generalities. If you want to earn a higher income, you need to get specific. If you ¬†earn one more ¬£, have you achieved your goal? No, of course you haven‚Äôt. When you are not specific about what you wanted to accomplish, your creative mind can not assist you in reaching your true objective.
In order to be effective, goals must be written down in the present tense using clear, specific, vivid words. For example, if your goal is to earn a salary of ¬£50,000 per year, you would write. I now earn ¬£50,000. per year in a job that is fulfilling, allows me to express myself creatively, and work on my own terms for only 25 hours a week.
Try completing the following steps which will help you set goals effectively so you can achieve ¬†the positive results you really want.
1. Decide what you want to achieve. The goal should be very specific. If you want to make more sales, how many more sales do you want to make? ¬†If you want to move into a different job, what exactly do you want from¬†that job?
2. Determine a deadline for achieving your goal. You ¬†must have a deadline. If you do not have a date on it, the goal ¬†just remains a wish or a dream.
3. Determine that the goal is believable to you. You must feel that the goal can be realized. If you believe it is impossible to achieve, you will never take the action necessary to make the goal a reality.
4. Where are you now and what have you got? Take a current inventory. You will never know how far you have to go if you don’t know your starting point
5. What obstacles do you need to overcome? Is there something that may make it difficult to achieve your goal? Be aware of the obstacles that block your path ¬†so you can make plans to overcome them.
6. What knowledge will you need to acquire? Will you need to earn a professional qualification or brush up on your skills?
7. What organizations and groups should you associate with? Are there certain groups of people that can make it easier for you to accomplish your goal? How can you become involved with them?
8. What are the benefits to you? Write down as many benefits ¬†of achieving your goals as possible. The more benefits you can come up with, the more likely you will be to stick to the goal until it is achieved.
9. Develop an action plan. Determine the specific steps you must take¬†to achieve your¬†goal. Start at the accomplishment of the goal and work backwards.
10. Visualize yourself achieving your goal. See yourself in clear detail as if you have already achieved the goal. Do this over and over again until it becomes part of your subconscious mind.
11. Take daily action towards the goal. Dreams and goals require action. The best goal in the world will never materialize unless consistent action is taken. Regular and consistent actions daily, no matter how small, will get you to your goal
12. Resolve to never give up¬†. Even when times get tough, until your goal is reached.
Taking the ¬†time and effort to complete the steps ¬†to goal setting is easy when you know how. When you follow these steps, your success is far more likely.
Good luck with those goals… aim high and be happy.